The Cuyahoga Falls Library recognizes that library records containing user information are confidential (see Ohio Revised Code, section 149.432). Library records are defined as a record in any form that is maintained by the Library and that contains any of the following types of information:
- Information an individual is required to provide in order to be eligible to use Library services or borrow materials
- Information that identifies an individual as having requested or obtained specific materials or materials on a specific subject
- Information that is provided by an individual to assist a staff member to answer a specific question or provide information on a particular subject
Information that does not identify an individual and that is retained for the purpose of studying or evaluating the use of the Library is not considered confidential and is not subject to this policy.
Under Ohio law, library records shall not be made available to any agency of federal, state, or local government, or to any spouse or other individual, except as pursuant to the following:
- For the records of minor children when requested by their parents, guardians, or custodians
- In accordance with a subpoena, search warrant, or other court order, or to a law enforcement officer who is investigating a matter involving public safety in exigent circumstances. All such requests must be referred to the Library Director or designee.
- At the written request or with the written consent of the individual who is the subject of the record or information. Library users are permitted to waive their confidentiality rights and designate specific individuals to whom they grant access to their library records.
Approved by the Cuyahoga Falls Library Board of Trustees, April 19, 2005