You can receive weekly emails of new titles we've added based on any search you can do. Just log into the catalog, do some searches, save them and mark them for email, and you'll get a weekly email with new titles matching those searches.
To create a preferred search:
- Log into the library catalog by clicking on "my account" on the library's home page or "login" in the catalog.
- Do a search. You can use the search box at the top of the first screen you see when you first log in, or you can click "start over" to get to the regular search screen.
- Click the "save as preferred search" button near the top of the screen. (The screen won't change after you click this, but don't worry.)
- Click on the "patron record" icon at the top of the screen, then click on "preferred searches." Check the box under "mark for email" on each line, and then click "update list" at the bottom.
While you're logged in, you should also check your email address: Click the "modify personal info" button, check your email address in the pop-up window that you see, and change it if necessary. (Ignore the line below that says "I would like to receive my notices from the library by"; that's for reserve and overdue notices.)
Tips on creating a preferred search:
- You can create a search for a format such as DVDs, CDs, large print, etc. On the keyword search page type an asterisk in the search box to find all titles, and check the box below for the format that you want.
- You can use the advanced search screen to create a search for a format and a location, such as CDs in the Children's room, or books in the young adult room. Again, just type an asterisk in the search box and check the boxes you want below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will all the titles in my email be on the shelf?
A: The titles will be either on the shelf, or checked out to someone, or "coming soon". Click on the link in your email to find out, and use the "request" button at the top of the screen to place a reserve if there's not a copy on the shelf.
Q: is there a limit to the number of titles that an email can contain?
A: The email you receive will contain up to 100 titles.
Q: How many preferred searches can I have?
A: You can have up to 100 preferred searches.
Q: When are the emails sent?
A: They're sent at 4:00 a.m. every Monday.
Q: Are there any restrictions on the searches I can do?
A: If you do a search in the catalog that finds more than 20,000 titles, that search won't work right as a preferred search. (You can see the number of titles at the top of the list: "1-50 of ___".) If you're tempted to do a really broad search, like one for all CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays, it's better to use several narrower searches instead.
Q. Why did my email have a title that came out 2 years ago? That's not new.
A. Any title that's new to the library is considered "new" for preferred searches.